Me doing what I love!!!

Me doing what I love!!!

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Click Tracks (best friend, or worst enemy)

I wanted to hit on a topic that a lot of musicians avoid, and that is playing to a click track...I know some of you are saying, "What's a click track?" or "No way, i refuse to play to a click track!" or "I don't need to play to a click track!"

In all the years I have been drumming, i have only been drumming to click tracks for about 3 years. I can honestly say that the biggest amount of growth I have made, as a drummer, has come from learning to play to clicks.

As a drummer, your biggest job is to keep the entire band in time. Whatever tempo the drummer is playing at, the rest of the band is going to follow. Practicing with click tracks is a sure fire way to improve your timing! Whether you learn to just use it at practice, live shows, or studio, being comfortable on click will be a huge help in furthering your drumming skills.

I have heard a lot of drummers say that playing to a click makes them hold back and not play as big as they usually would, and i totally understand that. When i first began playing with click tracks, i was so focused on not getting off tempo that all my fills, and beats became very simple. But, the more time i spent on the click, the more it started to feel natural, and very comfortable. If you ever plan to record with a band, or maybe even go to a music school, then click tracks will end up being your best friend!

My band is currently in the studio recording a 7 song CD, and before we even began to record, i mapped out every song to click tracks. Our music has a ton of technical parts, and tempo changes, which is new for me, on click, so now i find my self growing even more as a drummer.

I have found the best method for me, is quicker tempo songs are comfortable with a click track counting in standard fourth notes. But, slower tempo songs are more comfortable with a click track counting in eighth notes. Eighth notes just give you less empty space between counts, and don't leave you hanging in the "emptiness" to stay on tempo.

So again, whether you love them or hate them, learn to at least be comfortable playing to click tracks.

No comments:

Post a Comment